"The Stories That Bind"
For class we read two articles, one published in the New York Times and one a research article, that discussed family narratives and how knowing them help strengthen families as well as strengthen individuals within the family. As I thought about my family and the "table time" we had growing up I can remember a couple memorable moments, but overall I just remember sitting around the table and at least one child complaining about whatever had been cooked that night. However, as I read the research article it helped me to see that these meaningful discussions didn't always have to create elaborate memories, or even be about adventures my parents had before we were born. The research article stated that all the benefits that come from family discussions can be reaped as families discuss school projects, what events happened throughout the day, and encounters with other friends and families. Additionally although I don't remember most of the discussions in which my family talked about my parents as they grew up, or how they met, or what our grandparents were like as teenagers, but I have come to realize that as a family we know all of these things, and sometimes we laugh and talk about these things. As a family I guess I would say our narrative is strong.
According to the articles we read this means that our family should be close, and in a lot of ways I would say we are, and as individuals we should be able to weather difficult times and stress better, and this I suppose most of my family does with grace and poise. So, maybe these articles are right. Perhaps this family narrative that both me and my siblings are aware of helped to show us that life is made of both ups and downs and through it all we will still be a family and we will persevere. Who knew the dreaded meatloaf dinners would become vital parts of who we are.
According to the articles we read this means that our family should be close, and in a lot of ways I would say we are, and as individuals we should be able to weather difficult times and stress better, and this I suppose most of my family does with grace and poise. So, maybe these articles are right. Perhaps this family narrative that both me and my siblings are aware of helped to show us that life is made of both ups and downs and through it all we will still be a family and we will persevere. Who knew the dreaded meatloaf dinners would become vital parts of who we are.
Comments
Post a Comment