Reading Goals

I love reading. I'll read any genre, any time. People revert to books as go to gifts, and give me Barnes and Noble gift cards as if they were giving me the world. There is nothing better than curling in a blanket with a good book. However, there is one exception, one type of book I cannot get myself to focus on and read. Text books.

Despite every professors best effort of reading quizzes, test questions, and discussion boards there has never been a consistent and effective way to make me read the 60 pages of assigned readings for each class I take. I open the books and my eyes glaze over as I attempt to read the overly educational definitions and examples for myelenation and Piaget's theories of development.

So, when given the challenge to set reading goals for myself this semester the first goal, though simple and probably a bit ridiculous for a college senior, was to actually read. To sit down, open the text book and not just jump from subheading to subheading, but to read the text. As I then thought about what my next goals should be I thought about how even when I do read I end up closing the book having no idea what I just spent two hours reading. I "read" but I did not comprehend. So, my second goal was to skim effectively, to use the skimming strategies learned in class. The third goal I made was to be able to summarize each paragraph I read in a couple words as well as be able to write a short summary for each chapter or study I was required to read.

Throughout this semester I am aiming to accomplish these goals, and I hope to continue these strategies and goals in the following semester.

Comments

  1. I totally relate to struggling with reading text books, I wish they were more exciting to read sometimes! Good luck with your goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The struggle is so real!! I think learning to skim through text books and pulling out main points is one of the most valuable skills you can have for college. I hope you are able to master that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment